5 Ways to Recognize Your Team for Employee Appreciation Day
Employee Appreciation Day is a relatively new holiday. Beginning in the mid-’90s and celebrated every year on the first Friday of March, this day is dedicated to thanking employees for their hard work and dedication through gifts, public recognition, and special events. Although it is still an unofficial holiday, Employee Appreciation Day is catching on; studies continue to show that providing recognition and showing appreciation boosts employee happiness, productivity, and engagement.
Looking for inspiration to celebrate your team this Employee Appreciation Day? Here’s a list of our favorite ways to say “thank you” to your staff:
- Bring Some Pampering to the Office: Whether your employees work on their feet or at desks, there’s a good chance that there are some sore backs and tired hands in the office. Hire massage therapists for the day to provide chair massages for your staff members, or book a manicurist to give in-office manicures and pedicures. Does your team benefit more from animal therapy? Reach out to rescue shelters in your area and ask if they can bring in foster puppies or kittens for some company playtime.
- Surprise the Team With a Half Day: It might be too early for “summer hours,” but Employee Appreciation Day is a great excuse to let your staff get a jump-start on the weekend. Be sure to set a temporary voicemail and put a sign on the front door so customers know that your awesome staff has clocked out early!
- Go On An Office Outing: Who doesn’t love a field trip? Say “thank you” to your team by getting them away from their desks to socialize. Ax throwing outings, driving ranges, escape rooms, indoor skydiving, beer tours, and sports games are all fun activities that leave plenty of room for your staff to get to know each other better. Be sure to provide rides to and from your destination, especially if your outing is paired with a company happy hour.
- Give the Gift of Swag: Do some investigating internally to discover what kinds of company-branded gifts your employees would use and enjoy. Power banks, pristine notebooks, fitness gear, quality sweaters, and umbrellas have been especially popular company gifts. Consider gifting a “swag bag” with multiple goodies to show your appreciation.
- Say Thanks With Awards: Recognize high achieving and hard-working employees with trophies, plaques, and awards. Surprise your staff with customized paperweights, or create custom shaped cut-out trophies that highlight specific achievements or years of service. We love these puzzle piece awards to recognize stand-out teams; try customizing the pieces for each individual employee so they can keep a piece of the team’s greater puzzle.
Celebrating your staff through events like Employee Appreciation Day can boost retention rates and increase company morale. Need help getting started with employee recognition? Read up on ways to begin an employee recognition program at your organization, and contact the Recognition Experts at Acrylic Warehouse for more ideas and inspiration for your Employee Appreciation Day celebration.